During Girly Muse's Top 10 Week, friend/follower Cheri requested that I write a list of Top 10 Wardrobe Essentials. It's a tall order. Many a-list like this has been concocted by stylists and bloggers alike. And it seems that they all lean favorably toward the list-writers own style preferences. My list is no different. However, I will say that the following items will likely work for anyone - no "white oxford" or "LBD" on this list...though they have their place too, I personally find them overrated.
1. Boots: In all things, consider your lifestyle. If you're a SAHM chasing rugrats all day, don't invest in red suede, lace-up, stiletto boots and wonder why you never wear them. Instead, go with a flat or chunky-heeled, neutral pair that is easy to slip on and off. Practical can still be chic.
2. Jeans: I've been told that dark wash, boot-cut is universally flattering, so we'll just go with that. I prefer skinny jeans, but to each their own. Don't compromise on jeans. A good pair is worth every penny. Search until you find the ones that make you feel amazing...they're out there, I promise.
3. Scarf/Pashmina: Not only will it keep you warm, but it provides a extra pop of texture/pattern/color up by your pretty face. In a pinch, it can also serve as a shawl, blanket, head wrap, belt, skirt, ect.
4. Trench: A tan or black trench is classic, wearable with everything, and can seriously up the chicness factor for any outdoor activity. If that just bores you to tears, look for one with extra-special detailing or in your favorite, saturated color. Make sure the one you choose is in a modern style, and is the right fit and length for your body type.
5. Belt: Even just one great belt in your favorite neutral. One that will fit both high and low on the waist. It will do wonders for a silhouette and can take any outfit to the next level.
6. Tights/Leggings: If you wear skirts and/or dresses, show your stems some R.E.S.P.E.C.T by covering them up when it's chilly. When you're feelin' extra funky, some colored or patterned tights will be just the thing.
7. A Great Bag: One you're proud to carry. Like jeans, I don't feel bad about throwing a little extra dough at an awesome purse. Once again, be realistic about your needs. If you typically carry everything but the kitchen sink, don't buy a clutch.
8. Thin, Fitted Sweater in a Solid Color: Ok, so we're getting into DUH territory here. Layering pieces, layering pieces, layering pieces. They'll go the distance. Dress 'em up with with great accessories (see #3), or wear purely for functionality.
9. Layering Tee(s): See #8.
10. Neutral Skirt: Choose a style that is right for your body type and in a color you'll wear often - black, navy, gray, olive, tan - all good choices. A style that can be dressed up or down in a seasonless fabric is a winner.
Bonus Item: Long or 3/4 Sleeve Striped Top: Another classic. You'd be surprised how many different ways there are to style a striped top. Pattern mixing is HUGE this season and I hope it continues. Jessica at What I Wore did a Breton Stripe Challenge with her readers a while back - check it out for a some stripey inspiration!
Do you have list of your own? Shout it out (in a comment)!